Thursday, September 22, 2005

Matchbox, Lincoln Logs & Marbles

Have you ever wondered why we lose our imaginations as we get older? When I was a kid I could play for hours with matchbox cars or marbles, making up games as I went along. I'm an only child, and I don't know if that made me weird or what, but I used to think all of my cars and marbles and stuff had their own personalities and I would divide them into teams and makeup contests for them to compete against each other. I remember I told my one cousin, a year older than me, about my theory on them having personalities and she told me, "that's really stupid".--lol

You could definitely tell from my play even at age three or four that I was not your typical girl. My parents got me a big thing of lincoln logs, and they were so proud cause, me and my friends were always going to play lincoln logs in my room or whatever. I guess they thought I was going to be an architect or something. What they didn't know at the time was my lincoln log game consisted of building a fort, placing my fisher price people in it and standing back and bombing it with the small lincoln log pieces. (when I got a little older I got my first b.b gun--which replaced the bombs and made this game three times the fun!-ha).

Anyway, I digress. My point is this, have you as an adult ever tried to sit down and play, with cars or dolls etc. (maybe with your kids)? It's really hard. If you're like me you get bored in about five minutes. Now obviously it's good this is true since adults have lots of stuff they have to do, but I still think it's a shame that we lose all the joy and fun our fantastic child minds could create. Dunno bout you, but I miss it!

I've mentioned a few of my favorite toys and games from childhood, what were yours?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is kind of amazing the way we could spend hours just making up games when we were kids, isn't it? I never had lincoln logs (now I'm a little jealous) but my brother had the coolest Hot Wheels underground parking garage that we played with all the time. Strawberry Shortcake got hit by a lot of cars in that garage. Often, Lem and Ada were driving. She never seemed to see 'em coming . . .

9/23/2005 7:09 AM  
Blogger Leo said...

Thanks for the comments. Roro your jealous?! I'm the jealous one, I always wanted one of the hotwheels garages-they were sooo cool. Sorry was a great game. I used to play it with my parents all the time.

9/25/2005 2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker