Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Smirking Frat-Boy

I never thought I'd see the day, but low and behold Pres. Bush actually took responsibility for the federal governments slow response to Katrina. Of course even he couldn't quite keep a straight face during his, "I as president am responsible and we will rebuild New Orleans", speech. It's nice that he finally publically acknowledged responsibility for something, but it's obvious that his plummenting poll numbers and not a sudden awakening to true compassion motivated his mea culpa.
The truly ironic thing about this speech is that Pres. Bush is apparently (yeah right!) seeing the error of conservative thinking and now says, "Yes, historic racism does cause poverty". This change in thinking combined with a knew found desire to spend federal money on helping poor people is, I believe, designed to appease the Americans in this country who were finally woken up by his lack of leadership after Katrina, and were appalled by it. Unfortunately for Georgie, while I'm sure his poll numbers will bounce up a bit, most people are smart enough to see this for the political pandering it is. Plus his knew found "liberal" views are really pissing off his base, of staunch right-wing, Bushites.
I think it's a shame that I can't trust my President when he says he cares for the citizens of New Orleans. I wish I could believe he's sincere, but frankly I think all he cares about is himself and his political party. "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral
philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for
selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker