Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Gay Christian?!

You don't hear the term "gay christian" much, why is that? The evangelical, religious right in this country would have you believe that gay christian is an oxymoron. My reply to this is a simple bull****! As I've mentioned I was raised Catholic. We went to church every Sunday, I attended CCD (catholic version of Sunday school) and I even spent three years in Catholic school. While I'll be the first to admit my faith has definitely gotten lax, and I'm now more a holiday church goer than anything, I have not stopped believing in God nor the Christian values I was raised with. I definitely consider myself a Christian, but I am not one of the "Christians" you hear so much about on tv, in magazines and at the forefront of the Republican party. I'm not one of those Christians not just because I'm gay, but because the Christianity I was taught to believe in and practice has little if any resemblance to the brand of Christianity being thrust on America right now. In fact I honestly don't even recognize this "new" American Christianity. The religious right brand of Christianity focuses on politics and forcing their particular brand of religion on American society, winking slyly at any mention of separation of church and state. They say, "of course", but prayer in school, or at public events or religious monuments on our courthouse steps, that's not hurting anything. Well again I say, bull****. The truth is these same people would not be so behind these ideas if it were say Islamic prayers being said before class or tenets of Hinduism hanging on the courthouse walls. They do not believe in freedom of religion in America, they believe that they know what is right and best, PERIOD. The rest of us are going to hell and they're determined to save us from ourselves by forcing us to listen to their prayers in the town square, look at their faiths tenets on the walls of our grocery stores, and by God follow their rules (Americas new laws) or be arrested. I truly believe the religious right, evangelical Christians in this country are staging a hard fought political coo designed to control America and turn it into a "Pure" Christian land. I for one am a Christian and an American, but that is not my Christianity nor my America. "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

1 Comments:

Blogger Leo said...

I had a feeling that this post would upset a few people. It was not my intention to upset or offend anyone, I just have some strong feelings on the issue. It's hard not to when you see crowds of people (supposed Christians), on tv protesting this or that, carrying signs that say things like "God hates fags", or my favorite "queers burn in hell". I have a tough time not taking some of that stuff very personally. On the other hand, I do realize that not all Christians feel this way, or hate gays. I also know that not all Christians would be against other religions praying in schools etc. I did not mean to insinuate that "all" Christians think any one thing. There is diversity, even amongst Christians--which is some of the point I was trying to make it my post. As for quoting my sources--there are no sources as this was a purely opinion piece (post). I never claimed to be a news blog. Thankyou for your opinions and comment.

9/10/2005 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker