Monday, September 26, 2005

Right Fright

Why are the conservative right in this country so upset by Cindy Sheehan? Now obviously the conservatives disagree with Ms. Sheehan and the other protestors opinions on the Iraq war, but from the nature of the rights' vicious and vehement attacks on Cindy Sheehan, you'd think she and not Osma Bin Laden attacked on 9/11.

I'm sorry , but how about a little perspective on this difference of opinion. Ms. Sheehan is the grieving Mother of a U.S. soldier who died for his country. Whether you agree with her opinions or her actions or not, where's the respect for the fact that this woman just lost her son (a pain so unbearable I can't even fathom it), for the country all of you claim to hold so dear? I've heard a lot of conservatives saying things like, "well how does she think her son would feel about what she's saying?", and/or "she's disrespecting her sons memory". Well here's a better question for you, who do you think her son would be more upset with-his Mother who is grieving his loss, and dealing with it in the way she knows how, or all the conservatives out there who call him a hero in the same breathe that they try and rip apart his Mother, calling her things like, "Nutso", SheeBag, B*tch, W**ore, Stupid etc. (I've heard or seen every one of these names repeatedly used to describe her, in just the last few days)? I'm sure any son worth his salt would really appreciate how the conservatives honor his service and sacrifice by trying to denigrate the woman who birthed and raised him. If you disagree with her opinions, fine, but why do it in a way that brings nothing to your arguments and in fact makes you look like insensitive, frightened, bullies?!

5 Comments:

Blogger Bradley Herring said...

They realize how much power she has over them. Same as when Joe Wilson was going to discredit the Iraq War. Smear, smear, smear.

9/26/2005 9:56 PM  
Blogger Leo said...

Yeah you're right. That's probably exactly why it is--they're desperate.

9/26/2005 10:05 PM  
Blogger el said...

She is not grieving her son's death. She is taking her son's death as a political opportunity. I think that most military men would be ashamed of their mothers if they did such a thing. My fiance told his mother if a similar thing happened to him he would haunt her if she reacted like Sheehan did. For myself, if my fiance died in conflict I would not go out blaming the president. He would die for something he believes in. I would respect that. As for the name calling, I'm not much for that myself. That is something you see on both sides of the political spectrum though.

9/27/2005 1:27 PM  
Blogger C. Hedges said...

I'm not going to call Cindy Sheehan names, but I'm not going to support her.

I think she is very upset about her son and it may be affecting her judgment.

She also might be prejudiced according to a Jewish Press article.

Reports The Jewish Press Sheehan said the following:

"My son," Sheehan rants, "joined the Army to protect America, not Israel." "It`s okay for Israel to occupy Palestine...but it`s not okay for Syria to be in Lebanon." (Conversely, one wonders: if Syria`s longtime occupation of Lebanon never troubled her, why does Israel`s "occupation" of "Palestine" fill her with such rage?) And foulest of all: "Neo-conservatives [read: Jews] killed my son."

I can't support anyone who is quick to place the blame for all of the world's ills on a ethnic/religious group.

9/27/2005 4:06 PM  
Blogger Leo said...

I agree wih Chris when he says that he thinks she's upset over her son and it may be clouding her judgement.
I don't agree with everything she's said, but I do think that just because you can't see her grief (she's not crying in public every where she goes)doesn't mean that it's not there. Unless you believe she didn't love her son, you have to think she's in pain over his loss. I'm not the type of person who would show grief much publicly either, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be a mess on the inside. As for her blaming the President, I don't think Bush is completely responsible for any of the soldiers deaths, but I do think he bears some responsibility in that he lead the country into an unnecessary war in Iraq.
El said she thinks Cindy Sheehan is using her sons death as a political opportunity, and I can understand why El would feel that way, but since Ms. Sheehan is not a politician, and does not have anything to gain personally by protesting the war, I just don't see her as an "opportunist". I think she really believes in what she's doing. I do agree with El's statement that you see the name calling on both sides of the political spectrum. I think it's uncalled for and immature no matter which side is doing it. Thanks for your comments.

9/27/2005 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker