Friday, September 09, 2005

Can't buy me Love

Tomorrows my girlfriends birthday, and as I may have mentioned I procrastinate, so I went shopping today. I ended up going a little crazy, buying her four major gifts and I'm glad I could be in a postion (financially) to do it, but it got me thinking about the relationship between money and love. Everyone knows how the Beatles song goes, "Cant Buy Me Love", but is it true? I've always thought so, but I've also always tended to express my feelings for someone by buying them stuff I thought would make them happy. So I guess my question is this, if you love someone and you tend to show them by giving them gifts and/or paying for things, are you trying to buy them? Please let me know what you think.

2 Comments:

Blogger anon said...

I have often wondered about it too.

I'd like to think the person who receives from me wouldn't be too cynical to think that I'm trying to buy their favour.
(if it is an expensive gift)
That my gifts are an expression of my unconditional friendship and love for them.

Sometimes for extra special people I make things..A CD with hand-made covers,
other times i'd give them a painting.My very own creation..Or a collection of stories that i would have wriiten.

It's a case of me suffering mild case of cheapskate-itis and thinking that my time spent on their gifts is more valuable than the amount of money i spend on it.

9/10/2005 5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good question! I don't think that spending alot of money on someone is trying to buy them - unless you expect something in return, in which case, you're TOTALLY TRYING TO BUY THEM.

When I drop alot of money on a present for my gf, it's 'cause, like you say, I'm in a good position financially and I want to get her something unique, interesting and memorable (like this past life regression session I got for her birthday last year. Pretty wild stuff.) I know that she thought that was the coolest - but I also know that she'd be equally delighted if I spent little money but lots of time and effort on a gift.

Anyway - great blog! I look forward to check back often!

9/10/2005 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker