Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Americans First



This is one completely accurate caption (ha ha). Seriously though, I am honestly worried for this country. We are a completely divided nation, and as a wise man once said, "a house divided against itself cannot stand"-Abraham Lincoln

America has become two nations really. On one side we have; the red-staters, conservatives, ultra-christians and on the other the blue-staters, liberals, anti-evangelicals. As anyone who takes a few seconds to look at my blog can tell I am not neutral in this war. I am most assuredly a blue-state liberal, and lesbian to boot-lol. Be that as it may however, I am an American first. I've been giving this a good deal of thought lately, and I'm beginning to believe that until the rest of my countrymen, red-staters and blue decide to embrace the idea that we are all Americans first and political party loyalists second, America will suffer.

Many out there on both sides of the political spectrum probably disagree with my conclusion, but let me ask all of you this, "has this nation ever been more divided, angry, or partisan?" With the possible exception of the pre-civil war, and civil war years I would argue it hasn't. The rhetoric from both sides is at an all time hate-filled high. Doesn't this nation have enough enemies from outside without us tearing it asunder from the inside? Don't get me wrong, I think political discord and debate are natural and positive attributes of a democracy, but when the debates turn into, winning at all cost diatribes that are designed to tear the other guy to shreds, instead of sincere discussions held with respect for differing opinions and a willingness to compromise, they cease to be positive for America and become part of the problem rather than part of the solution. This is one Americans' opinion for what it's worth.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cathie said...

Nah, it's not as divided as it is in the blogosphere. I used to think it was, but I've come to realize that most people just want to be left alone. (Which is a shame, because everyone should want to be involved in the democratic process.)

10/04/2005 5:06 PM  
Blogger el said...

I agree that we live in the best country in the world and it is stupid not to realize it. The people who get to me are the ones who said they were going to move to another country if Bush won. Where is the pride in that?

10/04/2005 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this post is a perfect example of our current state of affairs. You explain that you are "an American first."

It seems like liberals are constantly accused of being anti-American, against the troops, or immoral.

It seems like conservatives sometimes don't realize that people who believe in personal freedom can also be patriotic Americans.

10/04/2005 10:28 PM  
Blogger Leo said...

Thanks for the comments. Daedalus, I agree that many Americans are apathetic when it comes to politics, but the ones who aren't are sharply divided.
El, I think that America is a great country, but I think it takes hard work and a realistic view of the nation in order to keep it great. Many people (mostly democrats) believe that our nation is currently headed down a troubled path and because they love their country, they're worried and angered by this countrys path and it's current leadership. Sometimes when you're frustrated and feel that a large section of Americans are happy with the current path, it's easier to think of leaving then to continue to fight. I agree with you that leaving America, even if you don't like her current leadership would be a cop out. I personally will always choose to stand and fight for what I believe in.
J.J., it's no suprise that since I am a liberal I agree with your comment wholeheartedly.

10/04/2005 10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say a photo is worth a thousand wprds. This one definetly speaks volumes!!!!

Ruby

10/05/2005 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker