Monday, June 18, 2007

The Global Warming Gamble


I don’t know about you, but my parents taught me that if I used my common sense, nine times out of ten, I’d make good decisions and stay out of trouble. Keeping that advice in mind when looking at the whole “global warming” situation has lead me to one very simple conclusion, which is ‘better safe than sorry’. If you apply this old adage when examining the issue, I believe you’ll see pretty quickly that the current arguments about whether global warming is man made or a natural occurrence are pointless and a waste of everyone’s time. I think, people only need to ask themselves one question before deciding whether or not they think we need to curb carbon emissions and change our lifestyles to address environmental issues, that question is, are you willing to bet your children’s lives on your opinion?

Perhaps, you are convinced that the majority of scientists in the world are wrong, and that man made global warming doesn’t exist, that it’s all liberal propaganda etc., well if so I say to you I won’t argue the science with you. I won’t cite scientific studies or statistics and heck I won’t even tell you that you’re wrong. After all this is a free country and you have every right to believe whatever you want. There is only one thing I would like to point out to you and that is the simple fact that you are wagering an awful lot on the argument. The truth of the matter is I sincerely hope that you’re right! I hope with all my might that the scientists are wrong and global warming is a natural occurrence. The only difference between you and me is that I’m not willing to take the chance that they might be right. I’m not willing to sit back and do nothing, there by betting my life and/or the lives of future generations on the premise that they’re wrong. I’m sorry, but I’m definitely not that gutsy of a gambler! It makes far more sense to me to assume that global warming could be man made, and sacrifice some of my time, energy and money towards that premise, than it does to assume the opposite, change nothing and pray that I’m right because if I’m not mankind is toast. So, as far as I’m concerned I say to hell with arguing who’s right and whose wrong, to hell with defending an opinion, I’ll use my energy to change my lifestyle to be more eco-friendly, because while I may not know what to believe as to what causes global warming, I do know that my common sense is screaming at me that in this case it’s better to be safe than really damn sorry!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello
I read with interest your views on global warming, I am one of these that you pointed out, believe that it is a natural phenomenon, totally agree that it is pointless defending an argument, but how can anybody justify using such a serious situation simply to make money out of the general population of the world, anybody that follows the efforts of joe public, namely myself, an avid recycler whoes efforts are totally wasted by a council "no names" that simply takes all of the recycled refuge and dumps it in a landfill site, on the pretence that it was contaminated, how do you stop this? tax people who put the wrong items in a rubbish bin, if the way forward is to drive a so called smart car! then why do no government ministers own any, too small to carry their wallets in? it seems to me that it is fine to own a gas guzzler as long as you can afford to run it, ask "two jags" if you know what I mean,I could go on all day, but won't it is very difficult to try and get a point accross, I agree that something needs to be done, but taxing people at every turn is not the answer, people need leaders who practice what they preach, not force people to hand over their hard earned cash, and then slap them in the face, first chance they get, as for this being a free country? well thats another topic.

6/19/2007 5:14 AM  
Blogger LET'S TALK said...

I'm with you on this Leo, it's best to be safe than sorry.

6/19/2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Leo said...

Geordie, I agree with you completely that we need leaders, who one, believe that something needs to be done, and two do practice what they preach and truly lead us by example. I would say that the best thing an average joe could do to address the problem is to make their representatives aware that you care about this issue and want something done about it. Obviously voting for people who take the global warming issue seriously would be a huge help. God knows, governments are notoriously inept with many things and yes, they will make mistakes and there will be greed and corruption that touch this issue, like everything else, but people like Mayor Bloomberg, of New York city, give me some hope. He just converted all of the cities taxis over to a hybrid fleet. As for higher taxes, well as I said in my post, I'd rather sacrifice my money than my life. Thanks so much for dropping in and sharing your thoughts!
Let's talk, I'm glad we agree on this one! Thanks for the comment.

6/19/2007 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your perspective on this, while I believe the thousands of scientists around the world that say global warming isn't a theory its a fact. I like your reasoning that its not going to hurt to do your part in being green, even if global warming doesn't exist (which it does, and your a freaking ding dong if you don't believe it) your only going to help air quality, lower your electric bill, and leave a cleaner nicer world for the next generation, this can't be all that bad can it?

6/22/2007 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker