Monday, May 21, 2007

What Brings You Joy?

I’ve noticed in the last few years that much to my dismay I seem to be getting more and more cynical and just plain disgusted by a lot of what goes on in the world. I’d like to believe that my more negative outlook is simply par for the course, a rather unfortunate side effect of aging (I’m 37), and seeing the world in a mature, realistic light. Perhaps that’s true, maybe not, the thing is no matter what the cause I hate it!
I don’t want to think or feel like the world’s going to hell in a handbasket, (one of my Moms favorite expressions-ha) or like lots of people are stupid or hateful or both. I want to believe as I did in my youth, that most people are good and that while there are many problems on this planet that there is hope and things will get better.

The only way I’ve found to combat my negative perspective is to try and pay closer attention and have more appreciation for the small joys life offers. I cannot recapture the optimistic, innocence I’ve lost throughout the years, but I can smile and feel a tiny thrill when the flowers I’ve nurtured so patiently bloom and thrive. I can make more of an effort to spend time with my family and friends and show them I care. I can sit back and lose myself in a great book. I can be more conscious of what I can do to better the world around me and bring whatever small amount of joy I can to others. I can make my dogs happy with a good neck scratching, or a long walk in the sun. It probably sounds stupid to other people, but these are the things I’ve discovered that make the days worthwhile and bring me joy when at times it seems the world is one giant shadow. What brings you joy/happiness?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker