Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Bush Submits $2.9 Trillion Budget to Congress


President Bush sent a $2.9 trillion spending plan to a Democratic-controlled Congress on Monday, proposing a big increase in military spending to fight the war in Iraq while squeezing other spending to meet his goal of eliminating the deficit in five years.

Yeah you read that right, that's Trillion with a capital T! Our fearless leader wants to blow billions more in Iraq on top of the hundreds of billions already wasted there. He's also suddenly worried about the deficit, which he had a major hand in causing with his tax cuts, and of course the last seven years of spending like a drunken sailor! In typical Republican fashion, I'm sure he has plenty of social programs he can't wait to cut funding to, so he can continue to give the rich some nice tax breaks, fund his war of stupidity and supposedly eliminate the deficit. If the democratic congress is ever going to take a stand, now would be the time, but I'm not holding my breath, because frankly as far as I can tell most of the current politicians are the same old self-serving hypocrites this country has had for years. I hope they prove me wrong!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was surprised to hear about balancing the budget, maintaining tax cuts through reduction of Medicare & Medicaid. Weren't these programs the things he was trying to fix? I guess one way to fix something is to shut it down.

Usual crap from those who are supposed to represent our interests. How about no funding for anything outside of the US until SS / Medicare - Medicaid are completely funded and Public debt down to 2.5% of GDP instead of the 47% of today.

For this type of program I will gladly pay 5% more, as long as Pelosi's jet fleet request (and other political perks like it) are eliminated.

2/06/2007 5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Leo. This is an honest question I hope you can answer.

Is there a reason why the LARGE majority of lesbians seem to be liberal? I understand that lesbians would disagree with many conservatives on their policy towards homosexuals in general (civil unions v. marriage, etc.), but what about being a lesbian means you have to swallow the rest of the liberal line? Why are so many lesbians also fiscally liberal? Or pro-choice? Or pro- other "liberal" programs and ideas?

I understand that as a lesbian, you would have a vested interest in opposing conservative candidates on the singular issue of civil unions/gay marriage, but why do the others necessarily tag along?

I'm sure you'll see from my link that I am a fiscal conservative and generally a social liberal (though not always). I don't care about anyone's sexual preference or who they care to be intimate with or whatever. I don't believe being gay is "a choice" or any of that nonsense, nor do I believe being "gay" is a sin or otherwise. I asked the above question in all honesty in hopes of understanding things a bit better. I have asked the same question of other "one-issue" persons (like pro-life), who not only vote primarily on the one issue they care about, but seem to swallow the entire party line, as well.

Thanks.

2/09/2007 1:34 PM  
Blogger Leo said...

Well private I can't speak for all lesbians, but I would guess that most lesbians are liberal for the same reason that most evangelicals are conservative. In other words I think that a persons social values carry a lot of weight when it comes to their entire political philosophy. Lesbians know what it's like to be discriminated against which makes us sympathize with underdogs, such as the poor and minorities in general. Plus Lesbians are women, and women tend to care a lot about things like healthcare, schools etc. The majority of women in this country are pro-choice, so lesbians simply fit the norm in that case.
It's an interesting question and if we speak in generalities than yes, I think most lesbians are liberals, but there are exceptions to every generality and lesbians are individuals like everyone else. Myself for example, I am fairly liberal, but I'm also a Catholic raised in a military home. I happen to be pro-life and I'm not all that thrilled about some of the gun control lobby either. I am also WAY more fiscally conservative than our current President, who is supposedly a conservative. Thanks for the comment and interesting question.

2/09/2007 3:03 PM  
Blogger Leo said...

David thanks for the comment!

2/10/2007 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker