Sunday, January 21, 2007

Bill Richardson Throws His Hat In!


WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico announced on Sunday he was taking the first step toward a 2008 presidential bid that would make him the first Hispanic to sit in the White House.
"I am seeking the nomination because I believe I can do the job," Richardson, 59, told ABC's "This Week."
Richardson, who was elected to a second term last year after a long career in Washington jobs, said he planned a campaign focused on a broad array of issues, not just those affecting the Latino community.
"I wouldn't run as a Hispanic candidate. I would run as an American proud to be Hispanic," Richardson said.

Bill Richardson isn't as well known as some of the other candidates, like Hillary and Obama, but I've seen him speak a few times and I like the man and what he has to say. Unfortunately, with the star studded roster the democrats are fielding this year, I'd say Richardsons' chance at getting the nomination are slim to nil. It is worth pointing out however that he is now the third minority candidate to declare himself in the running for the democratic nomination. The word for the 2008 campaign seems to be, 'diversity', which I find refreshing.

2 Comments:

Blogger libhom said...

I prefer Dennis Kucinich. He is the strongest voice against the war and the best Democrat on queer issues.

1/27/2007 10:56 AM  
Blogger Leo said...

Kucinich is a good guy and in a perfect world I might vote for him, but he has no realistic chance of being nominated so I have a tough time with the idea of supporting his candidacy. Thanks for the comment.

1/27/2007 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker