Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Glimpse

It should be more than obvious to anyone who has spent more than ten seconds looking at my blog that I truly love politics. I revel in all of the ins and outs of it, the strategies, the gamesmanship, but mostly I love politics possibilities, it’s potential as it were. It’s rare that we see that potential, much less see it fulfilled, but every once in awhile we get lucky and a person or a movement comes along that shows us a glimpse of it, a glimmer of what ‘could be’. If you’re not sure exactly what the heck I’m talking about-lol, I’m speaking of the Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King moments, the end to segregation and the fall of the Berlin Wall, the times when politics has risen above the mire and the muck and affected genuine change for the good of this country and all mankind.

Unfortunately, those people and those moments are few and far between and I realize many would label me an idealist for continuing to hope and yes, even demand more of that type of true, genuine service from our political leaders. Laugh at me and call me naïve, but I will continue to hope and demand and I think we all should because that is what true leadership and holding political office should be about. These elected officials of ours are given a great honor and an even greater responsibility, which is to serve the people, the nation and the greater good. Now as everyone here probably knows, I am a staunch Democrat, but I can say without hesitation that I would happily give my vote, my time and my money to any candidate who could convince me that he wishes to hold political office, not for his own glory or ego, not to make money or career connections, but simply to serve and do his or her best to help this country and its citizens.

Looking at the current field of potential presidential candidates for 2008, no one as yet has jumped out at me from either party who I believe would fit that bill, but at least two have already convinced me that they are the exact opposite of what I think a leader of this country should be. Those two, are Mitt Romney and Hillary Clinton and they’ve both gone a long way towards alienating me for one reason, they’ve both proven themselves in my opinion to be hypocrites and very possibly liars. Neither one can be trusted to truly stand for anything since they both have completely overhauled and changed their opinions in an attempt to appeal to certain segments of the population. I know that in today’s political arena it’s a common strategy, but personally I’d sooner vote for someone who I disagree with issue wise who at least I know really stands for something, than vote for someone who’s willing to change their opinions, beliefs and values simply to be more electable.

It’s early yet in the run up to 2008 and at the moment I’m sitting back, watching, waiting and of course continuing to hope that perhaps if we’re extremely lucky someone will step out of the pack who has true integrity and that all important desire to simply serve and in doing so grant us another glimpse of what ‘could be’.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Politics inst what it used to be - certainly in the UK.

The men and women of honour and passion and ideals are no longer.

All we get is the party line, no individuality and gallons of sleaze.

11/24/2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger Leo said...

Yes, that's the sad truth of the matter. Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

11/24/2006 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now, there is only one choice; Obama.

11/24/2006 6:12 PM  
Blogger Stuart said...

If a candidate emerges from a third party would you consider him/her? There may be someone who fits your criteria announcing soon - but not for either of the corporate parties.

11/25/2006 2:56 AM  
Blogger Leo said...

Kurt, I'm reserving my judgement on Obama for now as I need to learn more about him and what he stands for. Whitee, I would consider any canididate that I felt met certain standards for integrity and would be a good leader for our country. Thanks for the comments guys.

11/25/2006 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker